Sunday, December 26, 2010

Reverb 10: the one I write directly into the window on Boxing Day

I'm alone this afternoon except for the cat, who sleeps on my sofa and ignores me. This solitude is welcome and needed.

I have been writing to all of the Reverb 10 prompts but not publishing my responses. I haven't had the time or the heart to polish them.

I love Boxing Day. On Boxing Day, I stop holding my breath waiting for myself to explode. This breath-holding is an involuntary response to that ancient seasonal wound.


Here are abbreviated versions of my Reverb 10 responses to the prompts for Dec. 22 and 23:

December 22 – Travel. How did you travel in 2010? How and/or where would you like to travel next year?

(Author: Tara Hunt)


I didn't travel in 2010 because I couldn't afford to and didn't have the time. (this is a great over-simplification of why I didn't travel, but it's all I'm giving today)

I probably won't travel in 2011 because I don't think I'll be able to afford to travel and may not have the time.

I love to travel.


December 23 – New Name. Let’s meet again, for the first time. If you could introduce yourself to strangers by another name for just one day, what would it be and why?

(Author: Becca Wilcott)


When I was young, I thought of myself as the Largest Elizabeth in the World though I was tiny, too thin, smaller and younger than my classmates (skipped a grade in elementary school). Elizabeth was too big a name for me to pull off. I found it hard to hide a name like that.

My mother wouldn't call me anything but Elizabeth and was offended when other people did. She had a certain way of enunciating every letter in my name as if each syllable was a crystal figurine.

I don't need a new name, not even for a day. Elizabeth is the kind of name that easily becomes other names. I can keep my name and still call myself something new. I could (and have been) Elizabeth, Liz, Betty, Beth, Lizzie, Elspeth, Elsie, Tin Lizzy (the years of braces), Lizard Breath, Lizbeth, e'beth and EJ.

Lately, I think of myself as "Lizzie," though I'm the only one I know who actually calls me Lizzie.

I am also Dear, Mom, Mommy, Beautiful Sister, Mumsy, The Girl's Mom, Mama and Auntie E.

Today, I am Elizabeth Marie, my full name, a name I love. I think I'm big enough to wear it now.

2 comments:

  1. Not babble, not boring. Love Tin Lizzy (I had braces for years too, and one of those headgear doohickeys). Hello Elizabeth Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post and love Boxing Day release too!

    ReplyDelete