Friday, January 14, 2011

the one where I write like no one is reading

This despicable week,
I floated
face down
under waves of blue blankets
and machine-made quilts.

My forbidden forest
teems with maggot-like creatures
who crawl up my dream legs
burrow into my fat belly
and swarm my ...

what?

My nothing.

I find a new name for myself
under the old electric blanket
- controls long lost,
still warm with my natural, old woman stink.

I confirm my new name
inside discussions
about civil discourse,
gut reactions to horror:

"Ordinary Nobody."

Don't discount Ordinary Nobodies.
We are everywhere,
watching, listening,
discerning,
turning the dial,
turning off the television,
reading,
writing,
voting.

We don't stay lost
in our forbidden forests
or underneath our old blankets,
not for long.

1 comment:

  1. OH! ohmyword!! I am gasping - this is one incredible fantastic heart-opening - ohmyword poem! wow (i swear I'm nearly speechless)

    ReplyDelete