Thursday, July 14, 2011

If you love spoken word poetry, go here! Watch this!




Through another spoken word poet (Scott Woods, a hilarious, gifted generous man and poet), I discovered Cristin O'Keefe Aptowicz, and through her, I discovered this wonderful project in Philadelphia called the Philly Youth Poetry Movement, and through this project, I discovered Sarah Kay, who presents the above TED talk.

As Scott said, these discoveries that link us to each other are "The Circle of Life." (understand, he is one of the funniest people I've ever met. He's so lovely and funny, so irreverent and gifted that he rekindled my (teen) daughter's love for poetry a couple of weeks ago when we attended one of the Writers Block Poetry Night weekly open mics and occasional slam contests. I owe him. Big time.).

I don't regret that I've spent a great chunk of my afternoon watching spoken word videos and following links to other links to other links.

I would love to found something like this in this little city. Some day, after I finish the MFA and find a little paid work. That's not a "maybe." That's an "I'm fucking well going to do this."

No comments:

Post a Comment