Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Scintilla, Day 1, prompt 1

The Scintilla Project


Who am I?

I am sagging breasts and age-spotted face. I am white hair, chin hair, elbow hair.

I am 16 in my taste buds.
I am motherless at 35.
I am orphaned at 40.

And now I am 53.

I am dust and pasta sauce, socially-awkward-pansy-pinko-liberal-pacifist-recluse-shy-girl-celibate-happy.

I am memory of grassy hills and the itch that came after rolling down one just before it was time to bathe at night in spring in Maryland, still my 8-year-old self under my skin, skin still allergic.

I am mother.

I am poetry student, editor, writer, laughter, volunteer.

I sing psalms to my empty house, but only when I believe. I don’t always believe.

I am maple tree and clover and wild onion and broken branches scattered over a muddy, thin-grassed yard.

I am dirty siding and Greek meatballs and the word “Yes.” Too rarely the word “No.”

I am never spring.

I am often late.

I am phone-phobic and bad with money, and I like your mouth and the color of your eyes and how you tilt your head to the side when you listen to me listening to you.

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love how you handled this prompt. This is my favourite line: "...and I like your mouth and the color of your eyes and how you tilt your head to the side when you listen to me listening to you."

    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! And you made me sign up. And my mind is blank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well now, it's very nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this "I am dust and pasta sauce, socially-awkward-pansy-pinko-liberal-pacifist-recluse-shy-girl-celibate-happy." I look forward to reading more during #scintilla :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "...and how you tilt your head to the side when you listen to me listening to you."

    Love that. It feels like that kind of rare intimacy: feeling truly heard, truly seen, even as you offer up that gift, even as you look at yourself with a stark honesty that has a wabi-sabi kind of beauty about it.

    ReplyDelete